Thursday, January 23, 2014

I Prefer to Laugh (Sometimes Innapropriately)

After the last few posts about crying, I had to laugh at this quote from Marjorie Hinckley. I'll have to ask Chris what he thinks of this quote, because he gets rather upset that I fight the crying thing so much.  He wishes I would just "give it up" and allow the cleansing ritual more often.

However, I know I have the "laugh concept" down pat. A little too much, I might add! But you have to use humor in almost all situations. Sure, you can use it in all situations, but that can land you into trouble. 

Have you ever wanted to laugh so hard that your teeth hurt, but you knew if you did laugh at that moment someone would kill you? Yeah, been there. 

Or when you're trying not to laugh for the same reason because it would be inappropriate, but you can't help it and something stupid squeaks out of your mouth? I know that's happened to me often and recently. 

However, I think back to when that happened in an incident that occurred during my last semester of college (undergrad...someday I hope to specify the difference between my undergrad and graduate work...)  

It actually was a good thing that the moment of inappropriate laughter happened then because that last semester was quite the trial, to put it mildly. I've discussed it before on this blog, so I'm not going to get into it now. I didn't have much laughter then, and even in situations that I would have laughed, I didn't. My brain chemistry was so out of whack.


However, in my Latin America Geography class (and last requirement for my Geography Minor), for some reason I ended up always sitting by these geeky newly married young Mormon guys (I can make fun of them - I'm Mormon too) who were in school while they probably had a young wife at home who was most likely pregnant or already had a baby. Yeah, I can make fun of that. I was big and pregnant at the time too. I don't know why these guys (we'll call them Geek Guys) and I bonded, but whatever. Maybe I was safe for their married selves to hang with because I was so pregnant and frumpy, there was no suggestion or the remote chance of any "shenanigans". 

ANYWAY...let's just say there was a situation in the class that Geek Guys  kept making fun of someone else in the class (behind that person's back, of course). I understood why Geek Guys were making fun of the person, but I tried to just lay low. For reasons I'm not going to entertain here along with the fact that it wouldn't have been right, I wasn't going to participate in their games.  

Nothing to do with the Geek Guys story, but this seems to be a good place to add this...I read this too late at night and almost lost it with laughter...
 However, one time, when they were making fun of the person, Geek Guy #1 kept passing doodles over to me about how he felt having to endure class with that person. One doodle was of his finger being slammed in a door. I would quietly chuckle and then pass the note back. Then he'd pass a doodle to me of his whole hand being slammed in the door. I'd draw a smiley face and then pass it back. 

But then he really upped the ante. 

When he passed a well drawn doodle of him slamming his own head with a toilet seat, I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing. I couldn't hold it in. It was like that desperate feeling of needing to pee but you have to hold it just a little longer, but then someone pokes you in the bladder area and there's some "tinkle". 

I remember I covered my mouth, but still squeaked out some kind of strange noise and our professor stopped what she was saying and looked my direction. I was mortified. Not only that, but this was an awesome teacher and not the kind of teacher I wanted to interrupt with something so ridiculously stupid like that. 

I think she was one of the teachers who felt sorry for me for my health problems because I did not deserve an A in that class (B at best), but that's what I received. Therefore, the fact that I interrupted her lecture with my immature laughter did not sit well with me (or her, obviously). 

I couldn't stop laughing, but I somehow managed to mute it. 

When the teacher took a second to shift gears and we had a few minutes to chat amongst ourselves, I punched Doodle Geek in the arm and said, "Thanks for getting me in trouble!" I was 28 years old and in the equivalent to my senior year in college and I felt like I was in high school. Except for the pregnant part. Well, some girls in high school knew that feeling too, but... oh, never mind.

Therefore, humor is great in almost all situations.
The kind of inappropriate humor I love. I feel bad that it's on the same posting that I quoted Majorie Hinckley, however.
One of the funniest things ever...
I know I've posted this before. But it's just awesome. It also gives me a new appreciation for the stupid song. I e-mailed it to a fellow teacher once at the high school and then he called me yelling at me because the song was in his head for the rest of the day.  Awesome.
It just sneaks up on you!
And I'm dead SERIOUS (no pun intended) about the below instructions with the Grim Reaper. If inappropriate humor seems to follow me throughout life, and funerals are to celebrate ones life, then it makes perfect sense! If I die before Chris, he won't allow it, so please don't tell him ahead of time. When he gets mad at you, show him this blog entry. He'll probably have already seen it, but in his grief of not knowing how to go on without the wonder that is me, he'll most likely forget. It would be even better if more than one Grim Reaper shows up. Too bad I won't be there to see that!


And as for this Ferret note, I did do this just a few months ago. It was a situation where parking was scarce and a spot was available, but someone in a huge truck parked in a way that our medium sized Mazda 5 (NOT a minivan! ;-) ) could barely squeeze in. Mikelle was with me. She asked what I was doing. I said, "Writing the ying-yang next to us a note..." 

I wrote the note word for word of what's posted to the left. I wasn't proud of myself. Okay, I was. And let's face it, if I had time, I would have drawn a ferret. 

And to end the laughter for now, here's a classic. Oh, I have a lot more inappropriately funny stuff, but I try to keep this blog PG-rated, remember? 

This one seems to go along with the Penguin one fro  above:



2 Days to the 5K Color Run! Chris says I need to eat a bunch of carbs Friday night. That sounds both awesome and yet, I worry that despite the 5K the next morning (too early, if you ask me, but I'll make the sacrifice), the carbs will become too attached!


No comments:

Post a Comment