Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Barefoot in a Field of Broken Glass

Sunday Doodle for July 27, 2014

I guess there’s a Part Two to the moving drama. I really don’t want to get into it, due to pure exhaustion, but there is something to be said for closure. 

Still, I don’t feel there is closure yet. We’re still in the thick of it. There is still a vast field of broken glass. What's on the other side looks promising, but we're still barefoot in this field.

Anyway, so I guess I need to continue where I left off from the previous entry. 

That particular Tuesday (July 22nd?) after two nights of sleeping on the floor of the Queen Creek house, I put Mikelle, Alexander and Zoey (the parrot) in the white truck and headed towards Wickenburg.

First of all, there was junk (more boxes and stuff) in the back of the truck. I thought it was secured, but the top of my jewelry armoire flew open not long after we left. Chris did previously secure the drawers and sides, but he forgot about the top. At first I thought I lost my high school class ring when everything flew out of the top. I did lose some things (turned out, my ring wasn't one of them…whew!), but I think the worst of it is a new necklace I bought a couple of weeks ago. That was one of the things that flew out. The top of the armoire is not even the spot where that necklace should have been, so it's my fault I guess for not having it in the proper “necklace spot” that was all secured and safe.

If anyone wants to try to find it (yeah, right!) head to northbound Ellsworth Loop just before the Queen Creek Wash and Post Office. There was nowhere to pull off when it happened and it was a high traffic part of the day. Plus, it was 112 degrees and the truck was threatening to overheat even sitting just for mere moments at traffic lights.  There was no way to pull off and look for what could have flown out.

Anyway, so I stopped at the QT right there and attempted to secure the top, but as I drove further, I saw that was all wobbly in the back. I knew it wouldn’t make it on the trip. I didn’t know what to do, but I knew I didn’t want to turn back and return to the house (there was some sort of “defeat” in my mind if I went back…). Therefore, I texted everyone that would possibly be nearby to see if anyone who happened to be on Ellsworth or very close, could obtain the armoire from me, throw it in the their backseat (seriously, at that point, throwing it would have been just fine by me) and drop it off by the front door of the Queen Creek house and be on their way. No one was at the house as Chris and Christian were trying to get a new car.  

Yes, the new car. I’ll get to that in a moment.

Let’s just say I found a solution to the jewelry armoire disaster, and I was free of it before too long. It did make its way to Wickenburg eventually where I did discover my class ring was okay. That was my biggest concern as far as the armoire disaster was concerned.

So what about the new car? Well, I thought Chris and Christian would get it and drive it to Wickenburg that night. Well, they made the deal, but it was 9pm before they were finished.  Chris was not about to drive to Wickenburg from East Mesa (where he was) due to the exhaustion of everything, so he and Christian would be on the floor in the Queen Creek house for another night.  That also meant Chris would, yes, miss another day at work. I was stressed about this. He didn’t seem to be as concerned. 

As for the new car, in order to obtain the car we wanted, we had to wait two days as we wanted a standard transmission and the available one had to be brought over from another location. The salesmen were confused by us wanting a standard. I don’t understand why. Standards are the best! We love driving stick-shift. The white truck is a standard, and I feel like a real wuss driving automatics. Now I just have to be careful with my speeding. I tend to drive faster with a standard transmission.

Chris and Christian ended up driving a loaner back to Wickenburg the next day, and the day after that, I drove back out there and traded it for the new car with the standard transmission (the loaner was a new car, and thanks to us, it already had 200 miles on it...) Then I went back to the Queen Creek house for a few hours and worked while the other two kids complained about it.

However, I am getting ahead of myself. Let’s go back to Tuesday, where I was still trying to get to Wickenburg (sans jewelry armoire) with a back bed full of crap in a truck that was being cranky with overheating.

Alexander was not having our little jaunt. Even though the A/C worked, it only worked in a minimal way, and it was easy to still feel uncomfortable. By Goodyear, he was upset and it was time to feed the kids and take a break. But I had the parrot too. Where could we go? Oh well. I didn’t care. We walked right into the Arby’s in Goodyear with the bird. And Alexander’s shoes had vanished. I saw them when we left, but they were nowhere to be found when it was time to get out and eat. We tried to keep Barefoot Buggy Bug in the booth, but if anyone knows anything about Alexander, it’s clear that was a useless prospect! Keep him anchored in a single location? Ha! So basically, we were reining White Trash Supreme. That’s not exactly how I want to be Queen, but I was that evening.

It’s kind of a blur after that, as even though picking up the new car a couple of days later went okay, there was so much work to still be done at the Queen Creek house. 

I am feeling so overwhelmed. In fact, as I write this, we go back Thursday. We were there yesterday.

Oh My Holy…Yesterday. 

I don’t even want to talk about it. It’s just more of the same. We went in two cars, and Chris didn’t even return here (here being the new residence) until after midnight. And then he turned around and went to work this morning. 

The candle is being burned at both ends.

Thursday 7/24 in Mesa, AZ

I did get back into the drawing a little bit. My Sunday Doodle is posted above, and I’m trying to work on my Zodiac designs for hopefully Threadless submissions. It’s going slow, however, due to the moving saga that keeps on going through the field of broken glass.

And it goes without saying, the heat isn’t helping.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment