Sunday, May 10, 2009

Goofballs, Gargoyles, Art and Artifacts

And not necessarily in that order.

Mothers Day Weekend
Here are the goofballs and I earlier today.

Saturday May 9, 2009
This weekend was spent back down at "work" yesterday, but not in the technical sense. This was more for a family event. Just down the road from the school (less than a mile, easily) are the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.
The District Art and Music departments decided to have a day celebrating our music and art accomplishments at the Casa Grande Ruins there on the north end of Coolidge. While it was nice to show off some of my students' artwork, I do hope next year it is publicized better AND taking place somewhere fromJanuary-March. Those two factors will easily make it a much more successful event!

Here are some of the artworks I brought to display. Some have been posted on here before.
Some 6th Grade work of a line series with insects

The 7th and 8th grade project using Chagall's "I and the Village"
as inspiration.

Just to give you an idea of the size of these prehistoric Hohokam ruins, you can see Chris and the kids approaching them:


But yes, it was HOT. It really did do a number on me. Thankfully, the museum and its amenities were available to us:

I've already had enough of the heat. That's bad, isn't it? The temps were just an "intro" of what is to come. The look on these Gargoyle's faces below pretty much sums up how I feel about the heat, intense sunlight and dryness.

But of course, these Gargoyle's (project for 7th and 8th grades) were done in the last couple weeks with open mouths to simulate the original "waterspout" and "drainage" use that original gargoyles of the Gothic period of the 12th-14th centuries, primarily in France. Well, at the bottom you'll see the
Monsters Inc. "Mike Wasowski" Gargoyle didn't have the open mouth as per the project assignment. The "Mike Wasowski" maker still did well on the project, but he'll lose a couple points for leaving out the little detail.

"Raw" Just Constructed Gargoyles
(7th and 8th Grade)

Some Gargoyles that were fired, and before they're glazed with the color. Then they'll go back in the kiln again for a second firing. These ended up on my desk, because I couldn't identify the student who made it, based on the initials and other info that was supposed to be carved on the bottom. But the Gargoyle will be claimed! If not, I get a visual aid to use for next year!
A few completed Gargoyles. This is one 8th grade student Gargoyle and two 7th grade ones.
Some completed 5th grade Coil and Pinch Pots

And there you have it. 9 school days left until summer break! (but I'm not counting or anything...)

2 comments:

  1. Great gargoyles and fun art fair. No comment about the heat, except for saying I have no comment about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a dork, but that is beside the point. Just for you I checked with my "english" husband and it would of been better to say evaluate, so I changed it. You have to give me some slack, I am totally brain dead. I paid a pretty big bill twice this month and OD on my account. So lay off ;) I have been meaning to comment on this post. I love the first picture of you and the kids. Classic. I think you should blow it up and put it somewhere you can see it everyday. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete