Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Six Questions


Alexander is still under the weather - sort of. Usually when I have a kid with something like an ear infection or strep, once the antibiotics get started, the fever goes away. Not Alexander. Last night his axillary (under arm) temp was 103.5. It scared me because it was more like 104.5. The Motrin brought it down again. Today he appeared to be fever free until a couple of hours ago. I gave him the Motrin when his under arm temp was 101. His doc said he might either have a resistance infection to the Amoxicillin requiring another antibiotic or he has a viral infection and there is nothing else to do but keep him comfortable with the Ibuprofen. He said that since we can't always distinguish between bacterial and viral he will call in a different antibiotic. Fun times. Fun times.

Anyway, I don't have much going on in the ol' brain right now. And for me, surveys can be kind of fun (as long as it's not too often, too time consuming or too stupid).

I stole this off Lara's blog today. That's okay, because she obtained the questions from one of her friends too, so it's not like I'm stealing her material.


Here we go....

1.  How do you cope with the yucky season where you live?
Well, for me, the yucky season is from April to October.


The sun is aiming his vengeance at me.
(okay, the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts)


And well, October to April can blow as well because you have all the part-time residents here that just RAVE about how much they love the winter here and how they don't have to shovel snow like they do back in Minnesota, Manitoba or Massachusettes. Blah Blah Blah. My most hated phrase from them: "You don't have to shovel sunshine!" Ugh,  SHUT. THE. $#&%@$. UP!

Sunlight gives me a headache. Plus, if you leave something in the oven too long, it burns and becomes tough and overcooked, right? Well, that's me. Overcooked. You know the scene in the Spongebob movie when Patrick and Spongebob are under that heat lamp and they're all dried out in that Shell City Souvenir Shop? That's me.

Except, there isn't a beach to escape to located right there with David Hasselhoff to take me away -  like Patrick and Spongebob had.


So I'm cranky. Therefore, winters here kind of suck too, but at least we can be outside. In the summer, forget it.

But I've made it clear in numerous posts how the summers are the Devil Incarnate. To sum it up - I live in the WRONG place.
I guess I could have answered this question: "Look at my Blog Title". There you go.

2.  Tell me something you like about me or my blog.
Lara, you are more devoted to blogging and therefore you have followers and people actually comment. Oh wait, that is what makes me jealous about your blog. Tee Hee! But seriously, you're creative and you also have musical skills that I admire. Plus, you embrace being a mom to three girls. I'm not sure I would do it as perfectly as you. (I mean that, I'm not being snarky). My one daughter is giving me panic attacks. Don't tell her.
3.  Name a movie you can quote several lines from.
I'm a geek, so yes, Star Wars. But if I had to go the off-geek route, it would be 2002's About A Boy. It's one of my all time favorite movies. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it highly. It's based on the book of the same name by Nick Hornby.

Here are some of my favorite lines in no-particular order.

(Some lines I shouldn't quote due to content in them or language. There's no point in quoting the ones with language and censoring them, because the language is part of what makes that particular line good.)

Talent Show Announcer: That was Death Penalty Crew with "Murder for Life."

Fiona: Will, am I a bad mother?
Will: No, you're not a bad mother. You're just a barking lunatic.

Fiona: I mean, Marcus is special - very, very special boy and he's got a special soul, and I've wounded it.
Will: Oh, please, just shut up. You're wounding my soul.

Christine:... it's just I thought you had hidden depths.
Will: No, no, you've always had that wrong about me. I really am this shallow.

Will: (voiceover/narration): And there I was killing them softly with my song. Or rather being killed. And not so softly either.

Will: (voiceover/narration):It was terrible! Terrible! But driving really fast behind the ambulance was fantastic! 

Will (voiceover/narration]: She couldn't stay at my place, and she didn't have a DVD, or satellite, or cable, so we were always stuck watching some crap made for TV movie about a kid with leukemia. I had to end it.

Plus, I love the soundtrack. I had three songs from it on my Playlist, but one vanished. Still, great soundtrack!

4.  Least thing you like about mothering.
Potty training. I would not feel guilty if I could pay someone to do that for me. It almost worked out like that for Christian. I was doing my student teaching and then starting my K-8 teaching job at Heartland when he was in the potty training age range and Danielle's (his sitter) son was the same age, and Christian just watched Dylan and followed his lead. I didn't really have to potty train Christian. It was awesome.

No, this isn't Christian. I don't know who this is.
Another thing that is hard with mothering is the worry about them when they're sick. I don't have a problem taking care of them, but the worry with high fevers is something I can do without. If something prolongs too long without relief, I worry too much.

5.  Favorite thing about being a wife 
Do I have to answer that? Just kidding. Well, one of my quick answers wouldn't be appropriate (like some of my favorite lines in About a Boy so I'll skip over that too). It's a hard question to answer, because I've been a wife almost longer than I haven't been.

My favorite thing is being a 50/50 partner with my husband. That is something women couldn't say even a couple decades ago. I couldn't handle the bullcrap of husbands telling their wives what to do, wives worried about having the house cleaned for their husband, or things like husbands not helping with the kids. Hell no. As for the clean house, I worry about having a house clean, but that's all for me. I put that pressure on myself. If anything, I'm sure Chris wishes I could chill out on that so he could be more of a slob. Haha
6.  If you could've majored in anything in college, without thought to what you'd do with it afterwards, what would it have been?
That's what I did! LOL. I majored in Art Education, but I loved the Art History and Fine Arts element to it. In fact, I thought about double majoring in Art History. I minored in Geography due to pure interest and I thought about double majoring in that as well. However, I settled for the Geography minor so I could get finished and move on!
I want to get my Masters in Art History and Criticism. I don't know if I can though due to the student loans just for my BA. It would be insane and expensive trying to get my Masters.


There you go!
Now, I am supposed to tag some other bloggers, but I want to post this and not think. The baby is cranky and Chris has to get to bed, so I have to stop messing around on here. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you did this. :)

    I have never seen that movie, and I don't know why, because I do love Hugh Grant.

    ReplyDelete