Monday began the first lesson of the last art session for the summer. I'm not sure if I'll be doing it during the school year. I'll have to see if there is a demand/interest for it.
This is a smaller group compared to my other two sessions. We began with a look at Wassily Kandinsky's work with a color study involving concentric circles (top, left). It is an interesting composition to use the circular relationships and create different color combinations to create various effects and color relationships. For this particular lesson, I followed the lead from this posting: Kandinsky Circles.
I was able to acquire a lesser-quality camera, but helpful to get the job done and have as a backup in the future.
Ahead of time, I put Mikelle to work on this project, using six sectioned off areas, so I could use her results as an example closer to my students' ages and skill level:
Here are the results from the class. One student wasn't able to finish because he wasn't feeling well, but I have no doubt he'll be able to catch up with no problem.
After this, we moved on to another project using watercolors as well, but a fun "salt" technique. They had fun, but I quickly realized I started the lesson with too broad of instructions. I'm going to pull in it a bit as we approach it again tomorrow. I'm sure the results will be quite impressive!