Sunday, July 19, 2015

Washing Away in Wickenburg (and ongoing Oregon trip re-cap)

Wow... crazy stuff going on here! Yesterday, close to 4 inches of rain fell here in town. As a result, multiple roads were washed out and many homes and businesses were flooded. 

We lucked out in more ways than one. One, our rental property is right on the Hassayampa River and the river went crazy yesterday.
I think this is near the Hassaympa - RVs and Trailors washed out.
Ariel view of Hassayampa and where the 60 and 93 split from the first Roundabout
Luckily, the water didn't encroach near the house. Here is an ariel image of the rental in reference to the river. This image wasn't taken during the flood, but it does give an idea of how close we are to the river. We could hear it running fast behind us, however. We're at the pink star. (Well, for the next few days anyway!)
Google map satellite image of the river behind the rental property...there's always a little big of running water in that part of the river too, even when there isn't flooding.
Two, Chris and I were not even home, but the kids were home! Chris and I had to go to multiple stores yesterday to acquire items for the house such as hardware for the bathrooms like towel rings, hooks, mirrors, etc.  We had to hit three different Lowes, because of items that were in stock at one location and not another, etc. And Lowes wasn't the only place we needed to go. You know what isn't fun on a Saturday? Costco. Yeah, baby. At least it wasn't Snowbird season. And the sun was blocked out by the storm clouds. So there was that. Yes, horrible storms and floods were happening unbeknownst to us. But down in Phoenix (and Peoria and Surprise...loads of fun...), it was two-digit temperatures, a little bit of rain here and there and no sun due to beautiful puffy gray clouds. I'll take that perk of these summers any day! (except for what people went through up here in Wickenburg, that is... and the poor motorist on the 60 who was almost hit by a falling power line...)

Because the kids were home alone, thank goodness none of the flooding happened at home.  The crazy rain and storm did, but the worst of what happened with them at home alone was the power went out.

Our power was back up before midnight, but there were plenty of others south of us that were still without power this morning due to multiple power lines that went down between Wittman and into Morristown.

Power lines down in Morristown
Also, the new house is okay as well. It's located on the west end of Wickenburg. There were some dirty drainage mud in the road approaching our place, but nothing like the damage in the center and southeast of town.

As a result of so many people who were flooded out and affected by this, our church services were only an hour today and then many of the "flock" went to help those dig out from the flood. It wasn't unusual for a big part of our ward (congregation) to be dressed in jeans and grubby street clothes today because of the need to go help those who were impacted by the flooding. Chris, Mikelle and Christian went to work. I went home with Alexander because nothing could be accomplished if Alexander was there and it would be dangerous for him.
This place is known to be very helpful and friendly...if I ever need storage, I'd use them!

I think this is at Chaparral Ice Cream Parlor, but I could be wrong...

The Oregon Trip Saga Continues...June 24th and June 25th
Waldport and Newport
Switching gears, here is the continuation of the trip saga. I left off when we arrived in Oregon on Fathers Day (June 23rd). The next morning, I took advantage of a run back and forth on the Alsea Bay Bridge. It was a perfect overcast morning in the low 60s. Maybe it was still in the 50s. Either way, for a summer day, it was perfect.
 It's really hard to keep running, by the way, when there are a plethora of pictures to stop and take!  And check out the seagull nest. The first time I came by, the Mama wasn't too happy about that. However, the next time I came by, she was okay with my presence.  Then a bike rider came by and she flew off, but returned quickly. 
The pictures with only a few sea lions was on the west side of the bridge. The east side had a lot more sea lions. I loved how they would look up at me.

Later that day, we all caravanned a few miles up the road to Newport to enjoy the family tradition of eating at Mo's. If you're ever on the Oregon coast, eat at Mo's! There's also one in Cannon Beach and Florence. I've also eaten at the one in Florence.
Mo's in Newport

There were fifteen of us, so we had to sit at two different tables. My poor niece Maren was stuck at our table and she and her family (her brothers and Mom, Chris's sister) had to endure our spoon antics. I think Mikelle was at the other table and she was spared the embarrassment of her weird family.
I know the pictures of the three boys (Christian, Chris and Alexander) look practically identical, but the slight variation of the facial expressions are hilarious. Especially Alexander's!
Maren couldn't get the spoon to stay on her nose. Haha

After Mo's, everyone was heading to the movie Inside Out. However, Chris and I were not going to subject ourselves with Alexander in a theater. Plus, he and I had to arrange for prints to be made of the family tree. Therefore, everyone went to the movie and Chris and I took Alexander for that errand.  We didn't plan it, but Alexander fell asleep in the car. Because of that luck, the three of us went back to the beach house and had a nice nap before everyone came back. That was one of the true "relaxation" parts of the vacation.  

The next part of the trip recap will include Christian's flight home and Mikelle, Chris, Alexander and I beginning our trip home that included Crater Lake. 

We should be moving into the new house this week! Let's make it happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment