Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mothers Day, Art Update, and Our Math Olympiad!


This past Sunday was Mothers Day. I would be lying if I said it wasn't a big deal that my birthday and Mothers Day were always so close together (sometimes about a week apart some years!) I enjoy it. It's like double the fun and excuses to go out, shop for shoes, and have ice cream cake!
I look like a drag-queen dude, but this is still a sweet picture.
This year's Mothers day did have a wrinkle in it, due to the fact that both Mikelle and Christian were still sick with some icky throat, phlegm, and fever thing that transpired the end of last week. And now today, Tuesday, it looks like I'm being hit with it. 

Oh joy.

I took them both to the doctor on Friday and no one tested positive for strep, so I guess we have to wait this thing out. They did both go to school yesterday and today. Christian wasn't too thrilled about it, but he's at the point of still being congested and coughing, but no fever.

He can go to school. 








Attempting a Mothers Day picture with X-man
I realize it's not Wayback Wednesday, Throwback Thursday or Flashback Friday, but in honor of Mothers Day last week (and I missed those flashback days last week anyway), here is a picture of the sweet little baby girl that made me a Mother. 

My first official Mothers Day was when she was 9 months, but I love the sentiment of this shot. Mikelle was only 2 weeks old. It also reminds me of the Otter picture I put below it.
"I Made This...." :-) August 2000

Mothers Day "Sunday Doodle"
Art Update
I am behind on posting some artwork due to a missing photo card that is about the size of my pinky fingernail. I have a feeling Christian is involved in its absence, but like I said, it's about the size of a pinky fingernail.

On the missing photo card are pictures of some blocks I did that spell out the Greek word for Love - Agape - for my sweet Greek repeat customer. Sophia, if you're reading this, take a picture of the blocks for me!

While up in Utah, I did finish this beautiful tribute for a friend (below), who wanted to gift this to a family member who lost her sweet canine companion, Gadget.



I also completed some tribute art to honor a friend who recently lost her battle to cancer.  She loved shoes. The photo of the artwork is on the missing card. :sigh: I managed to scan it, but my home scanner is small, so it cut off the top and bottom.
I just shipped off this wonderful Wedding tribute that was commissioned by a friend of the Bride and Groom. I hope they love this gift as it is unveiled in a sea wedding gifts of crock pots and coffee makers. 
Congratulations Joshua and Brittany!

I had a lot of fun working on this, though I do feel I went the wrong direction in color. However, I didn't have time to start it all over. My problems with the color are mostly a Catch-22 artists find themselves in. They are frustrated with how something turned out, even if the client or admirers love it. 

Our Math Olympiad
I have a major shout-out for my Thing 2, Christian. I am so proud of him. In his ELP (Enhanced Learning Program) in the district, he was given the Math Olympiad exam for his age bracket (kids from ages 4th grade to 6th grade). This is an exam that is given in 49 states, thirteen American Territories and 27 foreign countries. Therefore, over 110,000 students particiated in this exam. 

Christian scored in the top 8% and earned the Silver Pin!

Not only that, but his team (class that took the exam), scored in the top 10%! 

There was an awards banquet last week and Christian had to put up with me proudly snapping pictures and expecting him to smile and enjoy it.  Along with his medal and silver pin, he received a letter and/or certificate from both our State Senators, local Congressman and the Governor. I wasn't able to scan and include all of them in the packet, but some of the key examples are included below.

I am so emotional because I am sad to leave this district and this wonderful ELP Program. 

I am also so proud to be his mother. He is a challenging one with his brain wired for the analytical and he'll be an excellent engineer (or code cracker and hacker ala Oceans Eleven!) someday. Just yesterday he made his dad and I nuts as he messed with some wiring with the home main computer and hooked up the laptop and did some other things that made "business as usual" rather difficult, but his brain never stops with such curiosities and logic.


Christian's team presenting a "thank you" poster to Marvell Engineering who was part of a field trip the day before.
Christian receiving his Medal from his school Principal, Mrs. Towns.

And speaking of Christian, nothing says "I Love You, Mom" than Mothers Day Coupons with the word "crap" in one of them! haha!

 These coupons are a perfect example of his analytical mind and his big heart coming together.
Until Next Time...!

No comments:

Post a Comment