Wednesday, May 28, 2014

10 Things...

Sunday Doodle May 25, 2014
We Need Humor in All Things
My fitness guru Facebook friend Marsha likes to post fun questions in between motivational quotes and adorable pictures of her dogs. Today, she posted, "Whats your favorite movie quote?" I didn't have to think very hard.  Since I've been more emotional lately with the impending move and "change" and all, comedy lines, scenes and clips come to mind. I need the humor and grab it when I can!

Oh, there are many favorite hilarious quotes. But my top one comes from the character of Jack (Donal Logue) in the film, Just Like Heaven. Reese Witherspoon, who plays Elizabeth, is in a coma and only David (Mark Ruffalo) can see her 'spirit'. David convinces Jack to help him steal her comatose body from the hospital because the doctors are going to pull the plug and she'll unfortunately pass away. 

As they're preparing for the heist, Elizabeth tells David to thank Jack for his help. When he does, Jack replies, "I'm not doing this for you..." David then asks, "Then why are you doing this?" Jack replies, "Because someday, trust me, I'm going to need help moving a body. And when that day comes, I don't want to hear any sh*t from you!" 

Yeah, that's my favorite line. The timing, humor and attitude behind it is just perfection. That kind of movie could easily turn overly sappy and difficult to take emotionally, but the comedic relief saves it. Then when the tears did come, it wasn't too painful. Of course there's a happy ending. And yes, I am biased with the movie title and Cure version of Just Like Heaven used in the closing credits. What can I say?

I'm also wuss when it comes to movies. Sure, there are some serious ones that have slipped through my tough screening process. But most of the time, I steer clear of anything that can scar me for life. I still can't watch E.T. I saw it in the theaters when I was 7 and I never want to see it again. I cried for the rest of the day. 

Go ahead and make fun of me. It wouldn't be the first time.

Plus, for me, movies are something that should be entertaining and stress relieving. Why feel stressed, freaked out and traumatized? It's not for me.

That's probably why this is one of my favorite lines as well from the film Ten Things I Hate About You: "Maybe if we were the last people alive and there are no sheep...  Are there sheep?" 

I know, my maturity level is low tonight, but this is the kind of humor that I require most of the time. Especially right now. But yes, appreciating this kind of humor is also a side effect from teaching junior high and high school. I also looked at a funny entry on a blog titled "The Dad Letters" titled 10 Things You Should Know About Your Teacher, and #5 had me laughing (and feeling better about my mind and loving movie scenes like Are There Sheep?):


5. They have dirty minds.
This one is your fault. When you can’t stop giggling for 45 minutes just because a story starts on page 69, or when you use words that force your teacher to make multiple daily trips to UrbanDictionary.com, you sort of force them to think on your level. Teachers are trained to recognize and help students stay away from potentially risque scenarios as well, so our dirty minds have us assuming the worst at every turn.

Along with seeking humor, I've been trying to work through the emotions of our upcoming move and stress of the house on our land not being started yet by having a creative "leap of faith". Well, more like "baby steps", but it's something. Last Friday evening I began to make the design of the house numbers that will go on the mailbox/entrance area on the street. Sure, there isn't a house built there yet or even stakes in the ground, but we do own the land. Therefore, I think this leap of faith is a good one. 

I also see the silver lining in this stress: We do own the land. I am grateful for that. I just wish the process of starting this house and getting proverbial shovels in the ground is as simple as buying the land was. Oh, don't get me wrong. It wasn't a perfect quick endeavor. We even lost it to another buyer at first. But compared to this process of getting the house built, it was certainly much easier.

Where was I? Oh, right. The house number project. So last week Chris talked about going out to dinner that Friday evening and seeing a goofy movie in the cheap theaters (not a movie worth speaking about...trust me...just something to watch that wasn't too serious for the reasons mentioned above and more...). Knowing that it wouldn't be until close to 7 if I tried to meet Chris anywhere for dinner (due to his schedule and long commute time), I suggested I leave the house early and head to the ceramic place and start the tile art. Then he could meet me there with sandwiches or hamburgers. We'd eat and hang out as I finished up two of the four tiles. After that, we would go to the movie. 

It worked out perfectly. It was therapeutic in that I could first chill by myself working on the design while feeling like I was doing something productive for the next chapter in our lives. Combine that with Chris joining me there for our date, and it was a nice evening.
 
Two of the house numbers, pre-fired:

And after they were picked up today, out of the kiln:
I have reminded myself to count my blessings. Since "10 Things" was in the title of a funny movie clip I shared and the teacher blog I referenced, I figured this was a perfect time to not only remember the things I'm thankful, but share a list of ten of them. Of course there are many more.

I already mentioned that I'm grateful that we own the land despite this stressful process, so I'll start with #2:

2. The opportunity and ability to stay at home these last few years. Granted, it's challenging for me, as my stubborn feminist side wants to be independent and "contribute" and "conquer the world". But at the same time, with education being such a tough field - especially in this inept state we live in - I'm grateful for this period I've been able to take a break from it. 

3.  My husband's job. It's a blessing within itself. People ask me, "If you hate AZ so much...why don't you move?" Easy. Chris's job is a wonderful blessing and great fit for him. Leaving that would not be a smart move. We went through 4 job losses between 2000-2004 and that alone has given us enough perspective to be so grateful for Chris's job. I just wish God didn't hate me so much and make our "blessings" have be happening here in hell. But don't get me wrong - I am grateful for his job and that blessing.

4.  My supportive husband. He encourages my pursuits and creativity. Sometimes he just tolerates them! lol He's also not too hard on me for being the kind of wife that often neglects to have dinner cooked (or even a dinner "plan" for that matter) and the kind of domestic organization that other wives tend to have without trying.

5. The health and well-being of my children. Sure, they drive me nuts. But they're healthy and doing well. I am grateful for that blessing everyday. 

6. The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and the gift of His Atonement in my life. It makes so much sense. Sure, fellow humans are fallible as we make each other crazy trying to follow these paths through life. On that road through life we cut each other off, flip each other off, crash into each other, and speed by each other. However, with the Gospel as a road-map and promised destination, I know it'll all turn out okay as long as we keep our eye on our ultimate destination.

7. If I haven't made it clear already, I'm grateful for humor. It's as essential as breathing. 

8. Selfishly, I'm grateful to have been born in a time with modern conveniences such as Air Conditioning, Microwaves and the technology we do have. Yet, I'm grateful I was born early enough to appreciate that that there is more to life than a fast Internet connection and having the latest mobile device (but don't try telling that to Christian).

9.  I am grateful for my ward, little Stonecrest Ward. I say little because in our subdivision/community alone, there are three wards. Usually that type of LDS density has me rolling my eyes. Okay, it does anyway. I do prefer more diversity (which we will get in Wickenburg, but that's not why we're moving there), BUT...I've been so grateful for the dynamics of our ward. It's such a wonderful fit and I am going to be so sad to leave it. Maybe I should wish I wasn't so grateful for it, so it would be easier to leave! haha

10. Pictures. I know I'm like my kids' annoying personal paparazzi reporter following them around. But I want to remember things. It's so easy for memories to fade or for us to forget the little things. Pictures help us hang on to those little things as time moves on. 

And because it's cute, and to prove my point about the "little things" here's a picture of Alexander a couple of weeks ago with his shark hat he made at Circle Time:
Shark Boy, Ooh Ha Ha!
As usual, I'm up way too late. 

So until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment