Friday, November 1, 2013

And We Have November...

"Day of the Dead" Copyright 2012 Jill Henrichsen
It's All Saints Day! Trick or Treating yesterday was...well, we went Trick or Treating! haha I took Christian and X-Man Trick or Treating while Mikelle handed out candy. Chris of course was still driving home (oh, I can't wait for the Wickenburg move to be upon us!)

Nice hole in my tights, eh? Those were bought NEW last year but only had holes when I opened them this year! Grrrrrr....
I should not have worn those boots. I knew I shouldn't have, but they are so cute! I've had them 2 years and haven't worn them much. But my feet paid dearly Thursday night. Chris is a touchy-feely guy, but that doesn't include feet. Well, I made him rub my feet anyway,

At the ward Trick or Trunk Wednesday night and with Trick or Treating last night, I received a lot of, "Why aren't you wearing your Incredibles Costume, Jill?"

Because I wore it twice already and it's constricting since it's one piece and its neckline was too tight. I was done after the second time. 

Check out Mr. Horse-head dude at the end of the driveway!
Chris dresses up at work every Halloween, despite the fact that he's pretty much the only one that does. This year, he wore his Ladmo shirt (that he got from our friend's Bruce and Liz for his birthday a couple of months ago) and a Ladmo hat. He even made a Ladmo Bag and gave it away to a colleague. And in this picture below, he has the Ladmo smile down very well!


If you don't know who Ladmo is, here is a picture of him:

If you're still confused, try this link.

 And the morning after Halloween...


The Saratov Approach
I meant to mention this movie over a week ago. Halloween upstaged my train of thought! 

Go see this movie!

It's a true story of two missionaries who were abducted in March 1998, ransomed, and delivered in Saratov, Russia. 

One good synopsis I found to describe it is here, as it's late at night and my brain is mush:

Inspired by actual events, THE SARATOV APPROACH is the extraordinary, untold story of Elders Travis Tuttle and Andrew Propst and their week-long abduction in Saratov, Russia. On what seemed like any other day during their two-year LDS missions, Elders Travis Tuttle (Corbin Allred) and Andrew Propst (Maclain Nelson) are approached by Nikolai (Nikita Bogolyubov) to meet a friend. But then the missionaries experience the unimaginable -- kidnapped, beaten, and held for ransom for nearly a week -- on the other side of the world in Saratov, Russia. While their family, friends and the world pray for their safe return, Tuttle and Propst are tested physically, emotionally and most of all -- spiritually. (c) Saratov Films

How true is it to the actual events? Travis Tuttle, one of the missionaries that was actually kidnapped and is represented by the actor on the left, says it's about 95%.

Travis went to Gilbert High, but was three years behind me. My brother Chad knew him in high school. 

However, almost ten years ago, when we moved into our current Queen Creek house, Travis and his wife and kids were in our ward. We are still in the same neighborhood.

At the time of the abduction, my girlfriend Susan (also a Gilbert High School survivor!) was serving a mission in Russia. She said she and other missionaries were not to display their tags on their person as openly as before, due to the high tensions that this event brought on. 

The movie was opened in Utah and finally made it down here a couple of weeks ago, and it is going more national! Chris, Mikelle and I went to the pre-screening party and Travis even did a Q & A with the audience afterwards. I even won this poster in a drawing. I want to frame it, but I need to have Travis sign it first. 


Even though this movie is about two LDS Missionaries that are abducted, this isn't a "Mormon Indie" movie. This appeals to all audiences. It's a movie about two 20 year old's captured/beaten/kidnapped and held for ransom in Russia. It's the story of their fears and of the emotions they and their loved ones back home felt during their captivity. Go see it. No matter where you are when it comes to faith or if you even believe in God, it will move you. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment