Wednesday, March 21, 2012

In Case You Didn't Already Know, This is Pretty Dang Sweet

I don't know this kid named Flint. In fact, I've never even been to Austin, Texas. 

However, after teaching K-8 for two years prior to teaching high school, I can only imagine what  4th grader Flint would have been like if he was in my classroom or if I was Albert Ramon, the visiting Austin, Texas Meteorologist to the local school.

Flint's letter is featured on the right, but here is the text of the letter with its original spelling: 

Dear Mr. Ramon,
Thank you for coming to our school and teaching us about weather.
Some day when I become supreme Ultra-Lord of the universe I will not make you a slave, you will live in my 200 story castle where unicorn servants will feed you doughnuts off their horns.

I will personally make you a throne that is half platnum and half solid gold and jewel encrested.

Thank you again for teaching us about meteoroligy, you’re more awesome than a monkey wearing a tuxedo made out bacon riding a cyborg unicorn with a lightsaber for the horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on Mars while ingulfed in flames … And in case you didn’t know, that’s pretty dang sweet.

Sincerely, Flint.

Without knowing Flint, I theorize that Flint is one of those very bright kids with a huge imagination and bundles of energy because he cannot physically hold it in at once. These kids also have the tendency to drive teachers crazy, but any good teacher also knows how awesome these kids can be  (while we would pull our hair out).

This is just my own guess as I speak from experience. Then again, I may be completely wrong!  Kids are as much of a crap shoot than anything else!

Oh, and here is Flint's drawing from the back.


I think of some of the kids that stood out in my K-8 experience. One was this adorable kindergartener from my 2007-2008 school year.  For the life of me I cannot remember his name.  But his face is unforgettable.

He was full of energy and a real handful, but he was oh, so adorable at the same time. 

I know what that is like of course, being Christian and Alexander's mom. Being adorable is their "cover" so they survive!

This particular student was finished with his project, but a lot of other kids were not. Therefore, I often gave him jobs or things to do (he enjoyed sweeping, as long as he didn't turn the broom into a sword or blunt object to use as a weapon).

However, on this particular day when he finished early, I simply gave him a piece of paper and told him to draw a picture.  He mentioned he wanted to draw a rock band and a guitar. I about died when I first saw what he came up with:

Yes, it's a GUITAR!
He had already cut out his guitar and glued it to another piece of paper when I discovered it. He wasn't too pleased that I "borrowed" his drawing. But I had to take it home and scan it first before returning it to him. 

And in case you doubt that an innocent 5 year old meant that to be a guitar, here is one he drew the same day with straps:

Guitar with Straps




And if you still don't buy the 5 year old's innocence, here is the guitars in context with the band members (still drawn the same day. This kid did everything fast!)


That same school year, my kindergarten and first graders (and maybe second graders. I can't remember) did a project where they were given a plain shape and they had to turn it into something else. With a circle, I saw a lot of flowers, suns, moons, basketballs, ice cream on top of  cones, and that just names a few of the many creative possibilities that came out of this project. 

Then there was the Demon! LOL!


Not only was it a really creative way to make use of his circle, but look the detail and how well he could draw a Demon!

 And in case you didn’t know, that’s pretty dang sweet!


No comments:

Post a Comment