Thursday, September 15, 2011

Circle Motifs at SunDust Gallery

This week I dropped off my first four pieces at SunDust Gallery in Downtown Mesa. I didn't expect to make it into a gallery so soon! Therefore, I am quite excited and having a hard time believing it's happening! While I love color, and love using watercolors and acrylic paint, these pieces deal primarily with pen and ink motifs on paper of various designs. My official artist statement pertaining to these specific methods and medium is:

A fun way to describe the approach to this particular type of artwork would be “Doodles on Steroids”. However, there is certainly more meaning behind the designs than random doodles. I am attracted to the realism of certain objects, but I cannot stop there as I’m pulled towards the various ways to explore different arrangements, shape and value and “tweak” otherwise simple and mundane things into whimsical combinations with various rhythms and some repetition to give unity to the composition. Taking this approach with these arrangements, I also experiment with some color, while leaving the black and white dominance. I do attempt to plan out some designs, but then they ultimately prove to have a mind of their own and take off into other directions. I am always surprised at the end result, because it is never what I envisioned when I began.


The other large circular motif, followed by the "triptych":

Details of the Triptych:


Two more large circular motifs (like the first three) are currently in the works!

No comments:

Post a Comment