Monday, February 2, 2009

Two Extremes: Budget slashes and cute comments from an almost 5 year old.

It's kind of a melancholy day, as on Saturday (Jan 31st) our lovely legislatures approved the 130 million SLASH of the K-12 education throughout the state. Who knows what that's going to mean to the district I work for, and who knows what that's going to mean to the district my kids' attend school in. I'm now on the district budget committee so I'm not just "wondering" and I can see the Armageddon slashing as it happens. I don't have time for such a committee, but this is the kind of thing that requires as much input as possible and the arts are vulnerable of course. I feel I have to be on that committee, even though the thought of seeing the bleak future as it goes down is not my idea of a nice afternoon.

Some of these cartoons seemed far-fetched (okay, the hell freezing over is way far-fetched) but the rest are pretty close to reality.To move off this yucky subject, allow me to share a "out of the mouths of babes" anecdotes from the last few days. Christian is the star of this show.

Christian deleted his name that was programmed in his Leapster (hand-held educational game device that Santa got for him)

Chris: You erased your name, Christian.
Christian: I put my other name in. This time it says "Deristian" (pronounced Deh-ris-chin.)
Chris: Dristian, huh? How do you spell that?
Christian: O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

And today. Christian was freaking out about a dead fly in our bathtub.

Christian: Get it out, dad! Get it out!
Chris: It's dead, Christian. What can it do to you?
Christian: DEAD things.

And with that, I'm ending this entry and heading to bed. We're all a little under the weather. Chris can't miss any work this week, but feels like crappola and my throat is not behaving the way it should. Christian is all stuffy and you can tell he's extra tired. Mikelle seemed to have something last week, but is possibly on the tail end of it.

Happy Groundhog Day! Punksatawny Phil saw his shadow, but that means nothing here in the dry uckky desert. Bleh.

3 comments:

  1. Hope everyone feels better soon!

    The Utah legislature just came through yesterday with the budget for the year, and public education is only getting slashed 3%, and they say the classroom will only be affected by about 1%. Mucho better than the 15% we were expecting. I'm guessing the lobbyists did a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the education cuts.

    But, those cartoons are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know about the budget cuts. I nearly had a few cuss words fly out of my mouth when the kindergarten teacher told me what they were going to do next year for the kindergarten program. it will affect the local preschool to the point of hiring a certified teacher to teach preschool.

    ReplyDelete