Monday, March 4, 2013

Four Seasons and a few things in between...

Here is my latest - The Four Seasons! I had been wanting to do this one for awhile. I'm glad it is now a reality.


The description in my Etsy shop for this one includes: Being a Phoenix native and quite "overcooked", this depiction of the four seasons doesn't exactly hide my feelings about the summer in the desert and the unique angles they take. However, this work does contain both traditional and typical features of each season along with the desert point of view.  

I found a lot of fun quotes to use in this artwork. They didn't all make it in to the piece, but I'll include all my favorites.

 

Arizona Desert Specific Quotes:

"You know you're an Arizona native when a rainy day puts your in a good mood." ...Marshall Trimble 

Jill's soapbox: It should say "Sonoran desert native". That is more apropos. There are more mountainy/upper elevation cooler parts of the state that this doesn't exactly apply to. For example, it drives me crazy when people talk about how weird it is that it snows in Arizona. Um, it snows in quite a few places in Arizona. We have 3 ski resorts in this state. They should say it was weird that it snowed in "Phoenix", etc.

"In Arizona, shade trees are your best friends...and occasionally the basis of small civil wars over parking." ...Terri Guillemets.  

Yep, been there. But I imagine this is more of a problem here in the Phoenix and Tucson areas...not Flagstaff.

"Each season of adventure reality television gets more and more challenging. I'm waiting for them to come out with a Survivor: Phoenix in July edition." ...Linda Solegato

"You know you live in Phoenix when you've experienced condensation on your butt cheeks from the hot water evaporating in the toilet bowl." ...Unknown

"You know you live in Phoenix when you are willing to park 3 blocks away because actually found shade from a palm tree imported 300 miles from California and nurtured with water piped 250 miles from Nevada." ...Unknown

Winter in the Sonoran Desert is spring
Spring is summer
Autumn is our winter
And Summer is Hell 
...Cherishe Archer 

I did put that quote on the Summer Sun's forehead!

 

More General Seasonal Quotes:

"The Seasons are the Emotions of Time" ...EJ George

"But then the Fall comes, kicking summer out on its treacherous ass as it always does one day sometime after the midpoint of September, it stays awhile like an old friend you have missed. It settles in the way an old friend will settle into your favorite chair and take out his pipe and light it and then fill the afternoon with stories of places he has been and things he has done since the last he saw you."  ...Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot'

Stephen is so lucky. He lives in Maine.

"Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves. We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves!" ...Humbert Wolfe

"And I'm lost behind
The words I'll never find
And I'm left behind 
As seasons roll on by." 
...Chris Cornell


Other Projects

2 More sets of Lucky blocks for customers:

And sometime between July 2012 and probably Fall 2012 I "doodled" this in a cheap notebook. The purple edges are part of the notebook. I decided to have postcards made of this design. It's now titled "Lunar Branches".
Lunar Branches, 2012
We are in the last week before Spring Break! (gulp!) That tells me Christian's 9th birthday is rapidly approaching. It also tells me the Sugar Show at the end of the month is coming just as fast. 

Back to work...



No comments:

Post a Comment